Protesters in Assam’s Karbi Anglong district on Tuesday called off their 12-day hunger strike following discussions with Education Minister Ranoj Pegu, amid tensions over alleged encroachment on tribal grazing lands.
The agitators, representing various political and social organisations, have been demanding the eviction of illegal settlers from Professional Grazing Reserve (PGR) and Village Grazing Reserve (VGR) lands in Karbi Anglong and West Karbi Anglong districts. Minister Pegu assured the protesters that tripartite talks would be held soon, with Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma also expected to participate.
The development came a day after violence was reported in Kheroni, where protesters set fire to the residence of Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council chief executive member Tuliram Ronghang and around 15 shops in Kheroni Bazaar. Police resorted to firing to control the situation, leaving four people injured, including three protesters and one police personnel. Security forces also prevented an attempt to attack the local police station.
On Tuesday, two motorcycles were reportedly set on fire in Kheroni, though no further incidents of violence were reported. Prohibitory orders remain in force in both Karbi Anglong and West Karbi Anglong districts, along with a night curfew from 5 pm to 6 am.
Minister Pegu, who reached the district on Monday night along with Director General of Police Harmeet Singh, said the situation was under control and additional security forces had been deployed. He noted that an earlier eviction drive had been stayed by the Gauhati High Court following a petition and stressed that the issue would be addressed through dialogue with both protesters and alleged encroachers.
Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma also addressed reports of arrests, clarifying that three hunger strikers were shifted to Guwahati for medical treatment due to health concerns. He said the government was coordinating with district authorities and protest leaders to stabilise the situation.








