Guwahati, Feb 16: Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah on Monday reconsidered his resignation from the party hours after submitting it. Borah (55) has sought time to reflect on his decision, following intervention by the party high command.
Assam Congress in-charge Jitendra Singh told reporters that Borah has withdrawn his resignation, while state unit president Gaurav Gogoi added that Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi personally spoke with him, and the high command did not accept the resignation.
Borah had tendered his resignation at 8 am, citing “certain circumstances” in recent days despite 32 years of service with the party. “I will continue in active politics,” he told reporters outside his Guwahati residence, noting that he had not yet decided on his future course.
The development comes ahead of Assam’s assembly elections scheduled for March-April. Borah was replaced as state president by Gogoi in May last year.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma reacted to the news, alleging that Borah was sidelined due to lacking “an illustrious father or minority community ties,” unlike Gogoi and Rakibul Hussain. Sarma said he plans to meet Borah on Tuesday to discuss future prospects.









