Assam LoP Debabrata Saikia Raises Concerns Over Zubeen Garg Death Probe

No Comments
Posted in Assam, Featured, Northeast
NET Web Desk

Guwahati, Oct 22: Assam Leader of Opposition Debabrata Saikia has raised serious concerns over the transparency and credibility of the state government’s investigation into the death of celebrated singer Zubeen Garg. Saikia accused Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma of making inconsistent statements that have left the public confused about the probe’s authenticity.

“The Chief Minister’s shifting remarks from calling it a murder to saying the findings would shock the people of Assam raise questions. What information has he received from the SIT to make such claims?” Saikia said. He also alleged that someone from the Special Investigation Team may have leaked confidential details to the Chief Minister.

Saikia questioned whether Garg’s safety concerns, previously highlighted by the Chief Minister, were adequately addressed before the singer’s travel to Singapore. He also sought accountability from Union Minister of State for External Affairs Pabitra Margherita and expressed disappointment that External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar has not yet contacted Garg’s family.

The Congress leader raised administrative concerns, questioning the assignment of an officer from the Chief Minister’s Vigilance unit to the CID, which he said has trained investigators since 1922. He also sought clarification on whether a magistrate or official witness was present during the CID’s search of event organiser Shyamkanu Mahanta’s residence and how the family regained access to the property after it was allegedly sealed.

Saikia criticised the Chief Minister’s failure to disclose the “shocking information” promised on September 10, despite claims that journalists from Delhi would be invited to cover the findings.

In response to the case, Saikia wrote to President Droupadi Murmu on September 24, requesting a joint CID-CBI probe under the supervision of a Gauhati High Court judge. On October 18, he also wrote to Singapore Prime Minister Lawrence Wong, seeking transparency regarding Garg’s death and raising concerns over alleged lapses during the North East Festival, organized with the Indian High Commission. Saikia highlighted issues including inadequate hospitality, safety, and medical support for the singer, and questioned why Garg was allowed into the sea without a life jacket despite known medical conditions.

Meanwhile, the SIT/CID has arrested seven individuals in connection with the case: event organiser Shyamkanu Mahanta, Zubeen Garg’s manager Siddharth Sharma, his cousin and suspended APS officer Sandipan Garg, bandmate Shekhar Jyoti Goswami, co-singer Amritprava Mahanta, and PSOs Nandeswar Bora and Paresh Baishya. All seven have been remanded to judicial custody by the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court in Guwahati.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.