No Fresh Violence Reported In Assam’s Karbi Anglong; Security Tightened

No Comments
Posted in Assam, Featured, Northeast
NET Web Desk

Guwahati, Dec 24: The law and order situation in Assam’s Karbi Anglong and West Karbi Anglong districts remained tense but under control on Wednesday, with no new incidents of violence reported, officials said.

Clashes reported on Tuesday in the Kheroni area of West Karbi Anglong claimed two lives and left at least 45 people injured, including 38 police personnel. Assam Police Director General Harmeet Singh and Inspector General (Law and Order) Akhilesh Kumar Singh sustained minor injuries during stone-pelting incidents.

Security has been intensified across vulnerable areas, with five additional companies of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) deployed. Joint flag marches were conducted to maintain public confidence. Prohibitory orders remain in force, and a night curfew from 5 pm to 6 am continues in Karbi Anglong district. Internet services in both Karbi Anglong and West Karbi Anglong have been suspended indefinitely as a precautionary measure.

Officials said tensions persist due to mobilisation by members of the Karbi and Bihari communities in small groups. The unrest is linked to a dispute over alleged encroachment on Village Grazing Reserves (VGR) and Professional Grazing Reserves (PGR) in tribal areas. Karbi groups had been observing a hunger strike for 15 days demanding eviction of alleged encroachers.

The situation escalated on Monday after police shifted three hunger strikers to hospital, following which arson attacks were reported at the residence of Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council Chief Executive Member Tuliram Ronghang and several shops owned by members of the Bihari community. On Tuesday, processions by both sides led to clashes involving stones, sticks, iron rods and arrows.

Police resorted to baton charges, tear gas and firing to disperse the crowds. A Karbi youth, identified as Athik Timung, was killed during the police action. In a separate incident, 25-year-old Suresh Dey, a specially abled man from the Bihari community, died after being trapped in a shop that was set on fire.

The hunger strike was called off on Tuesday following talks with Assam Tribal Affairs Minister Ranoj Pegu, who assured tripartite discussions involving Karbi groups, the state government and the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council. The first round of talks is scheduled for December 26.

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma described the situation as sensitive, expressed condolences to the families of the deceased, and said the government was closely monitoring developments. Police authorities appealed to community leaders to guide youth away from violence and resolve issues through dialogue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.