Shillong, May 19: Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar said the government will carefully examine objections raised by villagers and pressure groups before deciding on the proposed limestone mining project at Daistong village in Jaintia Hills. His assurance came after a meeting with representatives of the Jaintia National Council (JNC), Jaintia Students’ Union (JSU), and local residents, who submitted a petition alleging irregularities in the public hearing and environmental clearance process tied to the project.
Earlier in the day, youth organisations from Jaintia Hills staged a protest rally in Shillong against the mining proposal. Police stopped demonstrators as they attempted to march towards the secretariat, where heavy security was in place.
Dhar explained that the concerns raised were linked to environmental clearance, which falls under the Forest department headed by Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma. “Since the petition is received by me, I will examine the matter accordingly. I cannot say whether we will stop or continue. We have to examine the matter first. The chief minister is not in the station, and when he comes back, I will coordinate with him,” he said.
He added that the government must verify whether due process was followed in granting clearance. The controversy has intensified ahead of a public hearing scheduled for May 22, which has drawn opposition from villagers and organisations citing violations of environmental and land laws, along with fears of ecological damage and livelihood loss.









